County of San Mateo
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at County of San Mateo
Note: This job posting was updated on May 26, 2016 to update the current vacancy shift.
Note: This job posting was updated on October 1, 2018, December 12, 2016, August 30, 2016, April 19, 2016 and December 30, 2014 to amend the supplemental questions.
The County of San Mateo Health System would like to invite you to apply for the position of Nurse Practitioner.
At the County of San Mateo Health System, we lead by example. From our most seasoned professionals to our newest team members, everyone has the opportunity to step forward to offer their insight, opinions and ideas. As part of our teaching hospital, you'll have the chance to explore new avenues for growth while you meet the diverse healthcare needs of a thriving, vibrant community. If you're ready to discover the leader in you, we invite you to discover the County of San Mateo Health System. We currently have vacancies in our Behavioral Health and Recovery Services (BHRS) division, Correctional Health Services division, and the San Mateo Medical Center and Clinics.
Behavioral Health and Recovery Services (BHRS) offers a broad spectrum of mental health and substance use services for children, youth, families, adults and older adults in San Mateo County in the prevention, early intervention and treatment of mental illness and/or substance use conditions. Mental health services are also available for emotionally disturbed children, older adults at risk of institutionalization, children in special education or at risk of out-of-home placement, uninsured residents of San Mateo County and people of any age in a major crisis.
Correctional Health Services provides integrated medical, dental, mental health, and chemical dependency treatment to San Mateo County's incarcerated adults, and medical and dental care to the juvenile hall population. Medical services include health screening, treatment, education, and 24-hour emergency response for juveniles and adults.
The San Mateo Medical Center is a public hospital and clinic system fully accredited by the Joint Commission. The Medical Center operates outpatient clinics throughout San Mateo County and also an acute-care hospital. We serve the healthcare needs of County residents, serving as the healthcare home for underserved and underinsured residents, with an emphasis on education and prevention. Under general supervision, Nurse Practitioners will provide services such as conducting complete physical examinations, developing diagnostic impressions, and managing care of patients working in one or more specialty areas, such as geriatric, pediatric, family health, or OB/GYN practice.
Our nurses are part of a collaborative healthcare team dedicated to providing excellent care to our patients. At the County of San Mateo you'll find a supportive environment and opportunities to grow in your profession through training and education, including in-house Continuing Education units.
The Nurse Practitioner is fully competent to independently perform a variety of responsible primary health care services and other clinical procedures that require the exercise of a high degree of clinical judgment in the assessment, diagnosis and treatment of patients in a specialized nursing area office support duties. Positions in this series differ from those in the class of Staff Nurse in that Nurse Practitioners provide primary health care services and other clinical procedures that require specialized licensure and the exercise of a high degree of clinical judgment in the assessment, diagnosis and treatment of patients in a specialized nursing area.
NOTE: The list of eligible candidates created from this recruitment may be used to fill current and future part-time, full-time, permanent, extra-help, per diem, relief, and/or temporary vacancies in any of the three correctional facilities.
- Examples Of Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assess the health of patients to determine their physical, emotional and social status by taking a complete medical history, doing a physical examination, initiating screening and diagnostic procedures etc; evaluate results of clinical findings and laboratory tests; report any abnormalities to a physician.
- Identify and manage in collaboration with a physician, common illnesses and/or other health problems and refer these problems or illnesses that require immediate medical attention to the appropriate practicing physician; assume on-going responsibility for follow-ups.
- Collaborate with physicians and other health professionals regarding health problems and illnesses following established protocol relative to diagnosis and treatment of patients.
- Counsel parents or other family members regarding health maintenance in the area of specialization.
- Coordinate and facilitate referrals to other health or social agencies.
- Maintain accurate records of assessments, follow-ups and evaluations.
- Supervise the work of subordinate health workers and participate in professional and administrative meetings.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Principles, practices and procedures used in the detection, diagnosis and treatment of common health problems as related to the clinical specialty.
- Fundamentals of clinical medicine as related to clinical specialty.
- Drugs commonly used in the area of specialty including the indications of their use, anticipated therapeutic effect, side effects and untoward reactions and contraindications.
- Safety and infection control practices and procedures.
- Normal and abnormal values of laboratory tests and their clinical significance.
- Operations and care of medical equipment and instruments used in the area of specialty.
- Laws and regulations pertinent to the practice of nursing and medicine applicable to assigned specialty.
- Community resources and referral systems.
- Provisions of the Nurse Practice Act.
- Assess the health status of patients.
- Provide health care services including the taking of a complete medical history, doing complete physical examination and other related clinical procedures.
- Identify and manage health problems common in the area of specialty.
- Develop and implement treatment plans for patients according to policies and protocol.
- Analyze and interpret health information/data including results of laboratory testing.
- Communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, professional staff and others.
- Follow safety practices and procedures.
- Maintain accurate records and preparing reports.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying.
- Possession of a California license as a Registered Nurse.
Option l - Pediatric: Primary health care for patients 17 years of age and under.
Option 2 - Family: Primary health care for patients of all ages.
Option 3 - Geriatric: Primary health care for older patients.
Option 4 - OB/GYN: Primary health care for obstetric and gynecologic patients.
- Anyone may apply. A supplemental application form must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. The examination will consist of a scored evaluation of relevant training and experience (weight: 100%) based solely on the responses to the supplemental questions. All applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. This is a continuous recruitment which may close at any time. The final filing date will be posted five days in advance on this job announcement.IMPORTANT: Applications for this position will only be accepted online. If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply Online" button above or below. If you are not on the County's website, please go to http://jobs.smcgov.org/ to apply. Online applications must be received by the Human Resources Department before midnight on the final filing date.
Apply immediately. This recruitment is open on a continuous basis and selections may be made at any time within the process.
Final Filing Date: Open until filledAt the County of San Mateo, we take pride in the way our employees bring together their diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to serve our community's needs. The County is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Analyst: Carolyn Burns (091814) (Nurse Practitioner - F009)Keywords: nursing, RN, NP, health services, practitioner, corrections, clinical, medical